If you want to get photos publish in the media, about your story, they are usually looking for a specific type of photo. The three most important things for the media are:
- You must try to tell / document the whole story in one photo - a big ask.
- The photos must be original
- The photos should be unpublished
Here are some other guidelines in relation to photo contents.
- Photos need context - clearly show the place and subject matter through signage, a building, a prop, monument or land / cityscape
- Make the subject stand out with a dramatic background different from the main subject matter - sky, landscape etc
- People should look natural – not posing lined up like a football team photo
- Shoot from different angles to make it interesting - the side, above or below
- Shoot people close up and from the middle distance.
- Show peoples faces
- Illustrate the cultural diversity / difference of the photo location adding interest and context
For more thoughts and guidelines on getting your photos into the media, email email@example.com